Sonoma Wire Works and Taylor Guitars have teamed up to create and release the free Taylor EQ app: an input EQ for enhancing the sound of a Taylor guitar when played through GuitarJack on an iOS device.
Players can select from a range of EQ presets that complement Taylor’s signature guitar body shapes, including the Grand Auditorium, Grand Symphony, Grand Concert, Dreadnought, T5, or the new GS Mini. Each EQ preset was custom designed by Taylor Guitars’ engineers to optimize the tone of each body shape for use with the GuitarJack. Players can also create a custom tone for any guitar by using the six-band parametric equalizer in Advanced EQ mode, and play along to their favorite songs by launching Taylor EQ while the iPod app is playing.
While the Taylor EQ app will work with most iPhone guitar adapters and any acoustic guitar, it is optimized for use with the GuitarJack and Taylor guitars equipped with the company’s Expression System(r) for the highest quality sound. Taylor EQ is the first free app to include the GuitarJack control panel, which allows users to configure the GuitarJack settings and levels. The Taylor EQ is also built-in to FourTrack to enhance recordings of Taylor guitars or any other acoustic guitar.
The GuitarJack was announced earlier this year and connects a wide range of instruments, microphones, and other audio hardware to iPod touch (2nd and 3rd generation), iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G via 1/4-inch instrument and 1/8-inch stereo mic/line inputs. Offered at the suggested retail price of $199, the GuitarJack is available for purchase at Taylor Guitars, Sonoma Wire Works, Sweetwater, and other select dealers.
Taylor EQ is a free download in the app store.
Taylor EQ App Features:
- Six Taylor Guitar EQ Presets: Select from a range of EQ presets that complement Taylor’s signature guitar body shapes, including the Grand Auditorium, Grand Symphony, Grand Concert, Dreadnought, T5, or the GS Mini.
- Advanced Mode: Use the 6 band Parametric EQ with frequency, gain and pinch-for-Q gesture control to create a custom tone for your Taylor Guitar or any guitar. Then save the settings for later use. Toggle between basic and advanced to hear the difference.
- iPod Playthrough: Play along with your iPod songs on your iPhone or iPod touch while in the Taylor EQ app.
- Compressor/Limiter: A factory configured compressor-limiter sweetens the sound and keeps the output from clipping, or turn it off to hear the unprocessed output.
- Monitor Level: Balance the level when playing along with iPod songs. Turn it up to push the compressor harder.
- GuitarJack Control Panel: GuitarJack connects instruments, stereo line inputs and mics to the iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPod Touch (2nd and 3rd gen.) via 1/4 inch instrument and 1/8 inch stereo mic/line inputs.
GuitarJack features a 1/4 inch instrument with configurable pad, Lo-Z and Hi-Z modes, a 1/8 inch stereo mic/line input that includes pad, normal and boost modes, and a 1/8 inch stereo output with increased drive for headphones. Each input has 60dB of continuous gain/level control. Configure GuitarJack’s levels in Taylor EQ for the best possible sound, and what you’ll hear through the improved headphone jack sounds better than through the iOS device headphone jack. Levels set using Taylor EQ’s GuitarJack Control Panel settings can remain set when you switch to compatible audio apps, even if they do not include the GuitarJack Control Panel.