This is a review and demo of the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo – a digital tape echo pedal with accurate modeling and features to help create the nuances of old Tape Echo units.
The El Capistan dTape Echo retails for $299.
- Hand crafted dTape algorithms deliver meticulous and nuanced recreations of tape echo systems.
- Three tape machines in one: Fixed (one fixed playback head), Multi (multiple playback heads), andSingle (sliding record head)
- Each tape machine has three modes for extremely flexible echo options
- Five tape adjustment and tone shaping knobs: Time, Mix, Tape Age, Repeats, Wow & Flutter
- Five “hidden” knobs for extensive tone tweaking: Tape Crinkle, Tape Bias, Low End Contour, Spring Reverb, +/- 3dB Boost/Cut
- Sound on Sound mode with instant tape splice and bulk erase. A built-in tape-style looper!
- Stereo output, high impedance mono input
- Expression pedal input with selectable control over any knob parameter
- Connect our optional Favorite switch to save a favorite preset
- Tap Tempo and Bypass footswitches
- Ultra low noise, high performance 24-bit 96kHz A/D and D/A converters
- 115dB typical signal to noise
- Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital
- Premium analog front end and output section
- Super high performance DSP in a compact form factor
- True Bypass (electromechanical relay switching)
- Selectable “trails” mode with high quality Analog Buffered Bypass
- Press and hold Tap for instant infinite repeats
- Powered with a standard 9V center negative DC supply. 250mA minimum
- Strong and lightweight gunmetal gray anodized aluminum chassis
- Crafted with love in the USA